Welcome to Fashion Plate

You've found the home of my fabulous hand-sewn retro Barbie fashions and delectable recipes from my cookbooks, Chocolate Crimes and Five Step to Chocolate Rehab.



Monday, June 4, 2012

Contest: Moist White Cupcake Recipe

I have wonderful recipes for very moist chocolate and yellow cupcakes, but I have yet to discover or develop a truly moist white batter.  My husband has been taste-testing recipes, but the only ones to pass muster are not pure white.  It is amazing how many folks think white and yellow cake are synonymous.
I will be baking white cupcakes until a winner is found or until YOU send me a recipe I love and then you will be a winner.  Of course, taste and moistness is purely subjective on my part (and hubby's) but if you can please both of us, I'll send you a prize...maybe one of my cookbooks or maybe one of my reversible aprons from Etsy.
The rules are:  it doesn't have to be your original recipe and it can't be made with a cake mix.  I'm looking for almost damp moistness and no dry crumbs. 
I am hitting the kitchen hard and heavy this week to conquer the white cupcake.  If you beat me to it, you will be a winner!

2 comments:

  1. White Velvet Butter Cake - Modified for Cupcakes
    Makes 24

    Ingredients

    - 4 liquid oz of egg whites (around 4 large egg whites)
    - 1 cup milk
    - 2 1/4 teaspoons clear vanilla
    - 3 cups sifted cake flour (important! make sure you use cake flour and not all-purpose flour)
    - 1 1/2 cups sugar
    - 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350F and fill two 12-hole cupcake trays with cupcake wrappers. In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla and 1/4 cup milk.

    In a large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix together to blend. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high if using a hand mixer) for 1.5 minutes. Then add the egg, vanilla and milk mixture in three equal parts, beating for 20 seconds between additions.

    Pour the batter into prepared cupcake trays. Try to fill each cake with an equal amount of batter. Try using an ice cream scoop to help make scoops of batter even. Each cupcake wrapper will be about 2/3-3/4 full. Place trays in the oven for 15-20 minutes, remove when golden yellow and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried this before and it is pretty good but not quite as moist as I wanted, but so far, the best. Thanks for sending in the recipe.

      Delete