Welcome to Fashion Plate

You've found the home of my fabulous hand-sewn retro Barbie fashions and delectable recipes from my cookbooks, Chocolate Crimes and Five Step to Chocolate Rehab.



Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Recipe for Brownie Ornaments



I made a few with other decorations.


If you are a fan of Pinterest, you have probably seen the "brownie" ornament picture that seems to be all over the Internet.  How the photo was erroneously labeled brownie, I don't know.  It is taken from a Betty Crocker site and is in fact, a fudge filled ornament.  Not to be dissuaded by this, I decided to figure out how to make these ornaments with actual brownies inside. I will warn you that they will not look as smooth as fudge as brownies tend to rise and then fall, forming a lightly flakey crust and tend to sink in the middle.  These shortcomings are well concealed by the addition of icing.

Brownie ornaments
19.8 ounce Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies (9x13-inch size)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon mocha powder
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 egg
Combine ingredients and mix until smooth.  Add:
½ cup Ghiradelli semi-sweet mini chips.
Place 16 (2½-inch ) ornament cookie cutters on parchment lined cookie sheet.  Put 3 slightly rounded cookie scoopfuls of batter in each ornament.  Use a spoon to spread the batter evenly throughout the ornament.  Bake at 350° for 19 minutes.  Cool on baking sheet and iced and decorate as desired.
unbaked brownies

may sink in center

baked brownies


I used the following icing:
1/4 stick butter
4 cups confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons heavy cream
After icing I sprinkled with chocolate jimmies.
Then I wrapped them in this cute packaging I found at WalMart.






No comments:

Post a Comment