Welcome to Fashion Plate

You've found the home of my fabulous hand-sewn retro Barbie fashions and delectable recipes from my cookbooks, Chocolate Crimes and Five Step to Chocolate Rehab.



Friday, February 10, 2012

Afternoon Delight Punch

The Barbie Nation and I ate our weight in chocolate at last night's Chocolate Decadence fundraiser for the Aphasia Center of West Texas. It was a win/win situation. We were supporting a great cause and we literally stuffed ourselves with all things chocolate.
Since we are suffering from a chocolate hangover, we thought you might enjoy something that could give you a real hangover...just kidding.  I served this for the first time at a baby shower MANY years ago.  At the time, I had this pompous neighbor who had no trouble telling everyone what they should or shouldn't be doing.  Alcohol was a big no-no.  I didn't realize she had been swilling down the punch throughout the entire party.  Much to everyone's delight, she left the event struggling to make to her house, three doors down the street. Yes, being immature, we laughed about it for months. 
This is really good and refreshing.  You can hardly taste the alcohol.

(2)10 oz. packages frozen strawberries
¾ quart Champagne, or cold duck
1 quart 7-up or gingerale

Put partially thawed strawberries in blender and process until liquid. Strain to remove seeds. Pour into punch bowl and add champagne, then add 7-up or gingerale to taste. Garnish with ice ring and whole strawberries. I make my ice ring in a Jell-o mold.  First, I fill it half way with ginerale, place about a cup of whole strawberries (stems removed) in the soda and freeze.  Then I make a second layer of gingerale and strawberries and freeze that.  It will un-mold easily if you run a little hot water over the mold. 
I usually make these, remove them from the mold and store them in the freezer in plastic bags. If you have leftover punch, you can freeze this in a mold.  It makes an even better ice ring...but who is going to have any leftovers?
Veronica took the red-eye to Santa Fe this morning.  I don't know how she is going to stay awake for an art class because her eyes look worse than mine.  Who knew chocolate was so dangerous?

No comments:

Post a Comment